It's been long since I planned to make a list of best movies of any year. Risking ignominy of being outdated, let me start listing the best of 2008-09. First things first; a great film is one that I enjoy watching, forget the rest of the world while watching, hope that it never ends, don't mind if get a chance to watch for a second time.
1. Kaminey [2009]- It gave me confidence to assert that it's not always story that blows me away. This definition of 'black magic' did attract me. Thanks a lot, Vishal (Bharadwaj) for being the best!
2. Oye Lucky, Lucky Oye [2008]- 26/11 changed the commercial fate of this film. A national award does a bit of damage control to this excellent face of Hindi cinema. It's difficult to say whether I enjoyed it more, or I loved it more. Bong connection makes me proud.
3. A Wednesday [2008]- Superb thriller on terrorism. Anupam Kher and Naseeruddin Shah join hands after 17Y - a delightful treat.
4. Dev D [2009]- Tricky, bold, unpretentious. Anurag Kashyap's theory of deconstruction, applied on a classic tale of love.
5. Aamir [2008]- In short, a great movie on terrorism.
6. Mumbai Meri Jaan [2008]- Excellent portrayal of lives surrounding Mumbai train blast.
7. 3 Idiots [2009]- A bit over-rated by most critics, but it does enough to keep viewers happily glued to seats. Too focussed towards the cash counter - but I'll take that since it made me laugh throughout. Raju Hirani's hat-trick at the BO with a super successful flick.
8. Sarkar Raj [2008]- RGV, when caught in good mood, can do wonders. Abhishek Bachchan is a treasure hunted by RGV.
9. Gulaal [2009]- Not sure how may took notice of it. Hard hitting - Anurag's second bouncer in 2009.
10. Rocket Singh, Salesman of the Year [2009]- Quietest entry to the list. Ranbir proves beyond doubt that he is the next big thing. Shimit Amin completes hat-trick after Ab tak chappan and Chak de.
A few who missed by a whisker: 99 [2009], Mithya [2008], Rock On [2008], Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na [2008].
A few films I have not yet watched (but I should have): Paa [2009], Luck by Chance [2009].
And a disclosure: I may simply miss something just because I am not able to remember at this point in time. It's not a home-worked act, though planned long. Also, the ordering of the above titles might just be a little moody affair... I'm fine if someone doesn't take the serial numbers very seriously.