Dec 21, 2013

Slumdogs seldom bite

Amitabh Bachchan sits in front of a common man. He asks questions, gives 4 choices and a handful of lifelines… 7 Crore INR is the prize money this year. I have been an on and off viewer of KBC. The trophy is getting bigger with inflation. Generosity grows like age or pollution… bigger the heart, greater the popularity, higher the TRP and fatter the price of the slots. The success rate of contestants has really gone up… compared to one Harshwardhan Nawate in the starting year. Questions are not easy… the idea is not to make everyone a crorepati – but some of these will be tuned (magically) to the background of the contestant. Computer-ji does the wonder! Hardly anyone goes empty handed – this is a marked difference from initial seasons. Professionalism is diluted by soul! Last year was “Koi bhi insaan chhota nahin hota” (Nobody is small). This year’s version was more of an extrapolation of that. Everyone had a real sad story to share – no doubt they had truly tragic lives. Happier souls were barred from the show – just to set the tune to melancholy. The theme worked very well. Handpicked ‘chhota insaan’ made all the difference. In turn they were made less small!  The man from Allahabad could easily connect with them. The whole of India cried and laughed with them. There was nothing wrong… nothing to oppose the act. I don’t know why I can’t gulp it down easily. I do appreciate that the brains behind all these are not trying to revive a broke economy by rewarding a few beggars with lottery. Nor they are into charity. It’s pure business, like anything else. What is wrong in making a poor man/woman a millionaire by asking a few questions? I know that earning a million only once in life does not necessarily make someone a millionaire. But I am not even going that way. It's not that they are claiming of giving the money and not keeping their word after the show. Still there is some discomfort in my digestive system. Those raw tears, heart rending tales, personal tragedies, emotional trauma – can we sell it through the most respected actor? It’s not a movie… no way. It’s a reality show. All those hopeless faces that look at you for hope… you seem so deeply concerned by their plight, sir. A superstar of your stature, in a tangible distance from a hot seat… when you hug or pat them, some even gasp for air out of excitement. I don’t know… is it my jealousy? I can't judge. I feel disturbed by this show. Your smile, jokes, consolation, care creates an illusion – a real illusion. A relatively easy way to resolve financial distress. I love magic. Sir, you are everything success can mean but not a magician. It is such a widely accepted and respected show that I feel little awkward about being skeptic… but can’t help.
If you're born poor it's not your fault but if you die poor it is your fault. - Bill Gates