May 24, 2014

An affair with a storm

Modi wave consumed the Indian space as a tsunami or as some wittier mortals calling; a "tsuNaMo". History says it's a real example of the word "a clean sweep" - after 30Y, a single party crossed the magic figure of 272 seats in India. In 1984, INC did it, but that was simply on a sympathy wave after Indira Gandhi's assassination. This is historical, and of course hysterical, to witness such a grand finale to a general election. The BJP scored even higher than most of the exit poll predictions. One man show and a near miracle experience - to sum up this extravaganza. Meteoric rise of a very unconventional Indian leader, a very passionate and confident sounding go-getter, an aggressive hard-hitter - just the antithesis of his predecessor. He has won the faith of most of his countrymen. He can choose his cabinet, implement anything he wants, does not need to convince or reward any regional party. A lot is being said all across the media about his life, his Gujarat model. Any opposition to Modi, in and outside BJP, has sunk to oblivion, almost.
I am not a fan of people who use religion too often in public life. Nor I felt that all India needed is a strong leader. As if everything else was in place, everyone else was geared up, just a heroic personality at the top was missing. A typical Indian mindset of searching for a pill to overcome all woes... a Theory of Everything of sorts.
I'll be happy if my apprehensions are proven wrong. I don't have high hopes. Having said that, I must acknowledge the verdict. Modi is strong, tall, witty, positive, energetic and seems very passionate about his job as a PM. His face does show a lot of focus and most importantly, intent to do his best. Single party government is better than coalition, clear mandate is better than a broken one - even if all these are accepted, the questions, I'm afraid, are bigger than that. The fact that I can't provide any alternative or better solution is, for the time being, enough to keep my mouth shut. OK... Jagdish Bhagwatis have overpowered Amartya Sens, one market economy has taken over from just another market economy, a firebrand leader has thrown away a soft-spoken wise man, a saffron brigade with highly dubious intentions have replaced a mysterious family dynasty headed by a mother-son duo. I have seen how this party made it big. People have given them power to do anything now. Will they hesitate, or rebuild themselves, or turn on their hidden agenda into reality? I'll be watching.
India's turnaround is a dream a light-year away for anyone to reach - I'm not much into those. I'm more interested into seeing where this party heads forward from here - with all my misgivings!