Feb 28, 2012

2011, gone too soon

It's way too long since I posted something. Need to be more regular on this space - a no-man's-land for everyone else. 2011 has not been a great year for Hindi movies, the average quality of the films released has not been up-to-the-mark. I too have seen very few movies - just a coincidence. In last few months, 2 movies have got a lot of attention - Rockstar by Imtiaz Ali and Dirty Picture by Milan Luthria.
Imtiaz shocked me with this trash. I rate him quite higher than what he delivered. It's a ridiculously weak film. Surprisingly this showcases Ranbir Kapoor in his best till date. He is steadily heading towards the throne. Mohit Chawhan had a great time stretching his vocal chords under the supervision of AR Rahman. Rahman created a new sound for this movie which could have surely lifted the movie to a greater height if there was a little sense in the script. I am glad that it didn't do well at the BO.
DP is a hit and critically appreciated one. It's a good film - earned a lot of awards to Vidya Balan. She once again chose an unusual role for herself. Her work has been appreciated at every forum, by everyone. Having said all that, I failed to be so impressed with the film though. It's good, Vidya did her best to bring Silk Smitha alive on screen - but I didn't find the film great - unlike most reviewers did.