Jan 10, 2009

Rockers-n-Shakers

I got introduced to Rock music 6-7Y back. I've not managed to hear a lot of it because of a combination of factors, e.g. lack of time, lack of availability in music stores, lack of company to discuss etc. Our so-called music channels didn't help me either barring a few exceptional shows which used to be aired at night.
It was Bruce Springsteen who introduced me to a new world with Born in the USA. The Boss simply rocks! His music varies from folk- to hard- rock and he excels everywhere. He is considered as one of the greatest poets of Rock-n-Roll. He rose to fame as a American working class hero. I watched some videos from his concerts on TV. I must say, it's unbelievable. The energy, the passion with which he performs on stage is a revelation. I agree with many who compare his live shows as religious celebrations. Only an inspirational personality like him can heal through music. He sings like there is no tomorrow. His honesty unites the audience, takes them for a ride to utopia. He confesses he feels ecstatic connecting to his fans while on stage. He's still going strong, I've not yet grabbed his latest album released last year. Even at this age, this towering prophet of Rock preaches hope, love and camaraderie. Dire Straits is another band I adore. To me Mark Knopfler is the greatest guitarist I've got a chance to listen to. Live at the Albert Hall is an unforgettable experience. They are truly the Sultans of Swing. In 2005, I got hooked to Pearl Jam. I was immediately booked! I admit I don't understand any form of music. I don't get the words also. But the sound of Ten mesmerized me. I collected many of their albums, noticed them switching gear with age, purely driven by their own whims. I'll never be able to come out of their spell. Eddie Vedder remains the greatest voice of Rock music. In a natural progression into the Grunge Rock path, I forayed into Nirvana and fell in love with their beautiful simplicity.
Their lifestyle means nothing to me, I am entranced by the sheer magic of their music. For the first 25Y of my life, I happily avoided all firangi music. I termed those as cacophony. Today, in hindsight, I would say I was confining myself for no good reason, enjoying bliss due to ignorance. Language barrier, un-Indian texture, etc kept me shut off from those "noise". It took time to feel at home with their notion of melody. I managed to hear only a few of them till now and have been able to appreciate even fewer, but that's not the point. Like anything else most of the available things are of low or no quality and one has to dig hard through the catalog to pick the right one.
Their hunt for original sound, energy to perform, daring to do what they believe in, commitment to musicianship, practice to follow heart over money, defiance of the orthodoxies of schools are characteristically un-Indian and establish that a career choice should be primarily driven by passion. Comparing Rock with Indian music is an apple-vs-orange comparison and I love both the fruits. I'll try to walk on this path, explore a lot more if time and tide wait.