My wife keeps saying "why are you blogging to say these things? Other than me there is not even a single visitor till date." I feebly object, apart from her, I read it! And there's a faint hope that my daughter might take interest 10Y down the line!
I watched Ghajini (Hindi). I had tried the original Tamil version once on TV. And I always wondered what impressed Aamir Khan so much! When I first read about AK's 1Y long diligence to build those packs, his hairdo and saw all the pre-release hype that surrounded the film, I understood the reason. Well, it's not an AK material by any means, so hammer it to look like one! The Hindi film industry has gone past villain kills heroine, hero takes revenge themes quite a few years back. AK lead from the front to usher this change. Ghajini has nothing exciting to offer as a film, barring its brilliant action sequences at the end. AK acted very well, looked great, showed the world what dedication means by creating that mass at 43. But was it worth? I don't blame the director, he made a super-hit Tamil movie. Why on earth did it appeal to the finest lead actor of Hindi cinema is the question, more so because this gentleman is famous for rejecting scripts and taking long sabbaticals just in the hunt of good scripts! A sloppy script with inexplicable length blurred the ever-freshness of A R Rahman's music, Asin's promising introduction to Hindi movies. Jia Khan (who started well with a brilliant Nishabd) was wasted, had nothing to do except being part of the biggest blockbuster of 2K8. I always rate against expectation. Bigger the expectation, higher goes the denominator to normalize. From an actor who delivered Ghulam, Sarfarosh, DCH, Lagaan, RDB, TZP, ... this is disappointing, somewhere in between Mela and Mangal Pandey, in sum merely an OTW (One-time-watchable).
The unavoidable comparison between Ghajini and RNBDJ is a tough call. Both are let-downs by the 2 highest paid heroes, released in a gap of 2 wks, with 2 new faces as heroines, lead actors going through make-over in the middle, clicked in the BO notwithstanding stale plots. My expectations were less from SRK-Adi Chopra team, but they improved from their last outing Mohabbatein that had left me traumatized. From AK I expected to see meaningful enhancements on the original. As a result I was marginally more disappointed to see Ghajini.