Sep 13, 2009

Man out of the box

My wife asked me not to read reviews before commenting on a film - after hearing my remarks about Kaminey. I did go thro' a few reviews much before I could watch the movie. In a way she's right. A review of course can bias you. I'll try to keep her suggestions in mind, but it's my habit to read reviews and I don't know how far I'll be able to refrain. K is an out-and-out delight. I've been an avid admirer of Vishal Bharadwaj. He's a superstar. This time he wanted to do something completely different from his earlier works and he made yet another superb film. My friends have mixed views about it. Even my wife didn't find it too engrossing. I, on the contrary, have enjoyed it very much. It excels in many departments including cast-n-crew, direction, dialogues, style - neither the director nor me really wanted a real solid story. It's a successful attempt by an Indian film-maker to chart the waters that only Hollywood could boast of sailing so far.
A few years back when I started listening to Grunge sounds of Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden, I found some more names while delving thro' the net. Last one month or so, I resumed that activity a bit. Guess what! I stumbled on a band called Alice In Chains, and simply got hooked. I read about them before but never heard them. Such a wonderful pack of talents! I'm hearing their songs one after the other... it's even more surprising that most of their songs are brilliant - so many superior songs in a short-lasting career that met with a tragic end. For those who liked PJ, N, S kind of music, AIC is a better-late-than-never experience. Would, Rooster, Man in the box are Grunge classics.